BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I can... skate wicked fast? Practice 4

Thursday night brought me back to where I love to skate.  JFK has floors without divots, tape or strange bumps.  I feel like when I'm at Roller Kingdom if I push I'm going to be ass over tea kettle... so yeah, I LOVE JFK!

Before practice I tried to re-lace my skates so that I would have room in my toe box and my foot top where all the nerves are.  I think I need to tighten what isn't loosened,  however, it felt soooo damn good to feel my feet for the whole practice!  We are getting there, and all it took was a little "you can do it" from Betty!  Woot.

However, once I got to practice, I felt like I missed the memo and it was really endurance week.  I'm still trying to figure out how to skate in the other direction... so that started my ass kicking for the night.  Then we did knee drops.  The theory behind that is that while skating you can drop to one knee, and then get right back up and keep going.  Every time I dropped my knee pads would wiggle and then I would face plant.  So I tightened them.  Still no getting back up for me!  Finally I was told to just do picking up my feet on the whistle.  Still not comfy with that, but when the end of that torture was done, I did better at skating on one foot!  More practice will equal more confidence.  Once during our skating I did a really great fall- on my hands and knees, but I got up almost without taking a breath and kept on going.  I'm also starting to understand crossovers, when I'm moving at least.  And I realized that when I'm told to go I'm now starting to push off with my toes first, which gives me an extra boost.

And then the highlight of my night.  Maybe even the highlight of my derby career thus far... maybe.  We were told to find our sisters... mine was MIA, so I got adopted by N. Raging Grace.  She is my new hero!  We did pushes (maybe called shopping cart pushes??).  I got into derby stance, and she started to push me.  Now, when I'm pushing, I can skate kinda fastish.  She put her hand on my butt and showed me that I'm about as fast as a slug... by pushing me faster.  My job was to drive us, she pushed.  I started to have to worry about other people, making sure we were not hitting others or skating into them or anything.  She pushed.  FAST!  Holy FUCK ME!  This is better than any vice ever.  Better than roller coasters or speeding or sex or... well you get it... skating fast rocked my world!  And then I pushed her.  :(  Not so rocking, but I'll get there.  And I've decided to *gasp!* loosen my trucks a little.  I think that will help.

We did other things with the "big girls" like plow stops, and such, and then went off to be fresh meat.  We learned more on T-stops (hey, I'm getting it!!), and plow stops, and I finally go the hang of sticky skates, where you skate with all 8 wheels on the floor.  Then we did some actual derby drills.  We skated in a pack, where you have to be touching 2 people at all time, and Ivanna would shout a name and tell us to move through the pack to the front or back.  Then we did 3 at a time and learned how to fill empty spots.  The last part of practice I felt Caleb could have done better, but I tried.  We did hops.  First just bunny hops, and then dolly hops.  I can hop without falling, but as Dave pointed out, I'm not hopping far or high... so I'm really not succeeding all that much.  :(  After practice Helen taught us how to do stats, which was really good to learn, and also helps with learning the game.

I hope to have my stops mastered within another week.  I think I can do that.  And still working on derby stance.  That's one of my nemesis... when I'm in derby stance my upper bum hurts.  I need to work on my core.  Going to do some home exercises starting now...  I need to start strengthening my core!

3 comments:

Bettie OffDead said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bettie OffDead said...

You're doing great! Shopping cart is my favorite thing as well. As for jumping, the hardest hurdle to tackle is getting both feet off the ground and youve got that! The height and length will come with time. Be proud, I am. xxoo

Unknown said...

Grace is my hero too!! The knee drops--over time you will master them! But it def takes time!! :)