BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Jelly Legs- Endurance, pratice 5

I've been dreading endurance week since I first heard of it.  It's not that I'm not in shape, but let's face it, I have some extra baggage on me.  And I'm not in great shape.  So when I heard that there were practices with plyometrics and endurance marathons, I wanted to cry... well after I figured out what the fox a plyometric was. 

But I went, water bottles full, and sneakers on.  I figured if I died then I wouldn't need to worry about my pending birthday.  Or rent. 

And let me tell you, I now have a love hate relationship with plymetrics, and also our "drill mistress" Tank.  She kicked my ass but I felt good.  I learned that I can not do walking lunges gracefully.  Just can not do it.  Kept falling.  (yes, strengthen my core).  And also I re-confirmed that jumping jacks and F-cups were not made to be in the same sentence.  However, I learned that I can do squats and crazy ass sit ups with my feet in the air, and I can even kinda sorta do a push-up.  I also learned that I have the ability to push myself.  If I can walk 60 miles for breast cancer, I can do some push-ups when I'm tired.  So I went home, wrote down everything that my muddy brain remembered, and I'm going to make sure that on non-endurance weeks, I do them twice a week, as well as adding yoga to my day twice a week.  I NEED TO STRENGTHEN MY CORE!

After kicking my ass we did 2 drills with our skater sisters, and WooT! my sister was there.  So Trixie and I started by doing C-swoops.  First I just kinda fumbled.  But I kept watching her.  And then trying.  And putting my now sore ass into it.  And I got it!  Then we did scissor sisters, where one of us would swoop in front of or behind the other, and we would try to skate as close as possible kinda cutting each other off.  When Tank first showed us I laughed.  All I could think was  I'm going to kill Trixie and get kicked off the league.  However, I did it.  And when I cramped up, I skated harder until the cramp went away.  

I have found that although I am not able to skate like a seasoned derby vet, when someone shows us a new move, I am able to get my body to start doing it.  Muscle memory is important, and with practice I will do it better, smoother, and pass my assessment.  But before I can get better, I have to do it.  And I feel like I am at least getting it.  Realizing this makes me very proud.

I did loosen my trucks a little tiny bit, but I don't know if it was jello legs or loosened trucks that made me feel smoother.  More practice, and next non-endurance I will loosen a tiny bit more.

And on top of a kick ass evening, during scrimmage I did a squat to look at something and pulled my groin.  Fortunately, it wasn't a bad pull, and by morning I was sore enough all over that I couldn't figure out where my groin was anymore.

0 comments: