BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Practice 2, aka OMG my league is amazing!

Practice 2.  We started out in JFK, our "home".  This is where we practice most of the year, and also where our home bouts are.  So it's a good place to be.  Everyone told me 2 important things to be warned about with JFK.  First, it's slippery.  So be careful.  And second, it's hot, so be naked (well, not naked, but be prepared).  So I prepped for both.  And I never should have!  I skated more comfortably on that floor, and felt comfortable going fast.  (Just gotta stop better).  And OMG!  I froze my ass off!

Just before heading out I got the e-mail about my skater sister.  They are there to make sure we don't die.  Or something like that.  It's our big sister.  She says BEND YOUR KNEES!  And I'm thrilled, I have a kick ass one!  Not that all the women on the league aren't kick ass, but she's awesome, and a red head. Thank goddess for S.S. Trixie!  I think we are going to have fun. 

We started out practice as normal, with warm-ups. This is good.  Getting the muscles loose is a good thing.  Having blood flowing... yup, that's wicked important.  Especially because we had a scrimmage against the awesome NutCrackers.  I had signed up to help with stats, and ended up being put on score keeping.  I think I did good, and I'm going to keep doing stats to learn more.  I really felt like I got a much better feel for the game, and had to pay much closer attention... and not just to one person, but many people and refs.  This is good... because I know that on the track, you can't be tunnel visioned... So woot!  And I did good I'm told.  Asked questions.  Learned.  Had fun...

And got major toe cramps and leg cramps!  Note to self:  No matter if you warmed up, an hour and a half on skates without movement in an ass freezing room is going to cramp you up.  And yup, it did.  But we WON!!  99 to 53.  YaY!  After scrimmage I should have taken the time to re-stretch and then warm up again.  I also should have taken my skates off while we were scrimmaging.  Lesson learned.

After scrimmage we did an agility line... First the whole team (half were away that night thank goodness!!!) gets into a line and starts to skate, arms length from the person in front of them.  Then the person in the back of the pack peels out and starts to weave in and out between the girls in front of her WHILE THEY ARE STILL SKATING!  At first I didn't know what was going on.  Then I figured it out, thanks to my awesome derby sister Sin D. Lap Her.  And then, omg, with 2 charlie horses it was my turn.  I wanted to cry.  I can't do that!  But I went.

I went, and I did it!  I screwed up a few times by going to fast or slow.  I was afraid.  I wanted to puke.  And I completed it!  All the way from front to back.  Between each and every sister.  That was my proudest moment of the whole night.  And then I sat down.  Hey, I can only be so much, and I pushed in a way I didn't think I could.  Then I worked on stops.  I'm getting the whole toe stop.  T-stop... working on it.  And I'm also forcing myself to skate in derby stance, no matter what.  Kness bent.  Ass out.  Arms in.  I can do it.


Goals for monday- live through practice.  Push harder.  Bend my knees.  Ass out more.  Stretch better. T-stops need to be mastered soon... a girl's gotta stop!  And start working on 2 sets of gear... my skates need to be re-laced and toe stops moved... and also I found out on Thursday that I have been wearing my mouth guard upside down.  I have never worn a mouth guard before.  I didn't know.  Wow I felt dumb.

What a great league I'm a part of.  :D

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay for you!!

Anonymous said...

Wait... but you still were able to do it??... w/ two charlie horses?... I could go into that all limbered up and probably end up killing myself along w/ at least 3 other people. :)

Maggie Mae said...

We did all survive. And THAT was a miracle. But yes, I did it. :D

Dirty Kat Box said...

I am so proud of you for doing the pace line... I find them SO daunting...
T stops will come - took me one whole practice to figure 'em out!

Unknown said...

i love this!! Maggie I think you are writing a blog with the kind of detail that will be so helpful for all the other skaters that come after you in the years to come. Sharing the pain and worry (and victories) is such an important piece!